Feeling rushed? Like you need to be something by now? Like you should have it figured out?
James Martin joins us today to talk about what it actually takes to build a brand, run a business, grow a following, and create a body of work you’re proud of. It’s not always a straight line and when we think we know, we likely have no idea…and that’s okay!
James has a following on Instagram of 242k. He’s figured some things out along his almost 20-year journey as a designer and business owner.
He’s cofounder of Baby Giant Design Co., author of “Made by James: The Honest Guide to Creativity and Logo Design,” and now he teaches other designers how to live their best logo life through courses, coaching, and speaking.
James, born a creative, eventually developed his skills in illustration, became a teacher, then a tattoo apprentice, grew a tribe of hundreds of thousands of humans, and has now been in the graphic design world for two decades, working with the biggest and smallest companies on the planet.
James’ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/made.by.james/
A few of my favorite quotes from this conversation:
“If I followed my passion at 18, I’d be a rugby-playing, alcoholic, drug-taking thug.”
“Slow and steady may not win the race, but it will finish it.”
“I think we need to stop calling it social media. It’s a marketing platform. A way to reach the world and connect.”
“Let’s do it for 2 years and see what happens.”
“Consistency. I’ve posted almost every day, for 7 years. Show the process.”
“I wouldn’t be able to do all this by myself.”
“Your creativity is tied to process and structure.”
- How to navigate a career in design (Starting from the bottom)
- Creative constraints (his box)
- How he got started in design, then logos, now teaching
- How he grew a following and community of over 250,000
- The illusive pressures to “become” something
- Generational differences in business building (long-term vs short-term)
- How he manages his creative energy
- Have a process, know where you are in the process
- Sharing your process (the story is more important than the ending)
- Hard work vs consistency
- Connection’s role in business success
- The Book – Made by James: The Honest Guide to Creativity and Logo Design